View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:14 AM   #54
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
Jay summed up my thoughts on SV's pretty well. I'll ad the Kawi 650 is the same to me, but with less power. The FZ07 feels like a big dirt bike. Wears it's weight low and has SV levels of power.
Go to a Triumph dealer and have a look / ride on a triple. Yeah, they allow test rides, it might just change your mind. The 675 triple is very linear with it's power application.

If you want to stay in the sport class of bikes. You might consider reaching back into the not so distant past, before 600's became Jekyll and Hyde machines. The CBR600 F4i, YZF600R, I think it was the ZZR600 from Kawi.
Interesting note on the 675. A friend had a Daytona 675 a couple years back, and one day on an open stretch we both took off from a rolling start. Me on my '06 SV650n. We were dead even until we both backed-off at a fairly high speed. I was shifting the SV in the red.

We stopped for gas, and I asked him why he didn't pull away from me like I was backing up. He didn't know, and said he was shifting at 10,000. I informed him that's just about the time the Triumph woke up and made some serious power.

Just goes to show that in most situations even a bike like the Triumph is pretty strong, but it takes extra effort - and revs - to really unlock its full potential.

He ended-up selling the Daytona and buying a KTM RC390, and doesn't really miss the power of the Triumph (that he didn't use anyway).

Last futzed with by jkv45; June 15th, 2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote