View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #17
Aran
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I had a basic one like that, but the yellow also cheap variety. I upgraded to this, or one similar https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-M...10709/14521541 (I think it's the exact one but the price is a couple dollars less than I paid in-store) because it started freaking out and displaying random numbers for any function when the battery started getting low and I figured instead of figuring out if it was a device problem or just low power causing it I might as well just replace it.

I also picked up two testing lights, a powered one for continuity and an unpowered basic automotive test light with red/green for positive and negative. I honestly don't know what I'm doing with either of those either.

I really ought to take advantage of the local community college's courses on electronics and the like.

Anyhow, I didn't have my phone handy on me to look up what I needed to do for proper testing so I was doing power-on voltage testing since that was the first thing that came to mind, and engine off all the circuits I tested, when powered, were showing 12.x volts, and engine on 13.x volts, which is likely a completely useless point of data.

Clipping the test light lead to a good ground, I probed the wire coming off the kickstand plug. Nada in either position. I couldn't find any visibly damaged wires but my garage is currently cramped as both of my bikes are down for electrical issues, and it's a small garage so two bikes, workbenches, shelves, etc., made it hard to get a good look.

Maybe it's time to just suck it up and pay someone else to find the problem, fix it, and explain what it was to me. I'm no good at this and I'm finding it hard to even focus on it.
Aran is offline   Reply With Quote