View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2017, 07:22 AM   #1
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S.
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (SD, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , BI, Nordrhein Westfalen, Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or, TMZ 200.

200 miles with old rear sprocket - damage done?

About 10 days ago i showed up at Ride in Trondheim, Norway, to have the 250 serviced. I was told that the mechanic had become ill, and that they could unfortunately not do the service on the bike that had been agreed upon earlier.
I should use it for a trip to Østersund, Sweden, a few days later, so instead I made an agreement with a workshop there, CJ Motorteknik. I had bought a new chain and the front and rear sprockets from a 3rd company in Norway.

After a couple of hours they called from CJ Motorteknik and told that the rear sprocket did not fit, so it was decided to change the front sprocket (smallest diameter) and the chain, but keep the old rear sprocket. I have always heard that both sprockets as well as the chain should be changed at the same time, not for old parts to damage new ones.

Since there was no chance in getting the right rear sprocket during my few days in Sweden, I drove approximately 300 kilometers (180 miles) with the combination of the old rear sprocket and a new chain and front sprocket.

The old chain and front sprocket were in bad shape. Should I change the old rear sprocket ASAP, or is it likely that the damage is done, anyway?

There is little, if any, visible wear on the rear sprocket. Should I rather just run the bike with the present mix of new chain and front sprocket and the old rear sprocket, or not..?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry if similar cases have already been debated here..
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote