View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

Most definitely, the floats are stuck in the down position, that is the overflow tube venting the excess overboard.

I had a rescue project bike this spring that had this same thing happen. It sucked so much fuel from the carbs just inhaling raw fuel that the cylinders packed with gas and the oil had fuel in it too.

What I ended up having to do was change the oil (it gets thinned by the gas and ruins your oil) and filter, empty out the airbox (it had gas in there too) and change the air filter (fuel ganked that up pretty well too).

"percussive" maintenance on the bowls, or hammering them, won't help a stuck float on an old bike. The carbs HAVE to come off, the bowls HAVE to come off, be cleaned, the jets HAVE to come out and be cleaned, they need to be spotless. You can't just soak them and replace them. You'll need to spend a few minutes boiling the jets (slow and main), needles, and whatever else that isn't plastic in water for 5-8 minutes to loosen it up and then using a wire tie stripped down carefully to get the "verdigris" or copper carbonate off the brass.

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote