View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #7873
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Yeah, as long as your car is older than 2-years with more than 7500 miles.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...es/howto/htvr9
If you unknowingly try to register a less-than-2yr-old car or bike with less than 7500, it'll be flagged and recorded in DMV records. You'll never be able to register that vehicle in CA, ever. I've known several people that had to get PO Box addresses in another state to register their cars. Then they get hassled by cops for having out-of-state plates while they've been in the state for years.

I guess it comes down to what you're trying to do. If you just do basic vehicle registrations, you're fine (except for out-of-state 2-yrs-young or <7500 miles).

I had tuning shop in Valencia and started with developing some chip-upgrades for Porsche Turbos. It cost me over $10k to have CARB certify a modified ECU chip. Should be as simple as toss it on dyno, if it passes current smog regs, it's fine and gets EO#. Nope... I had to submit the product to CARB for "testing" and they charge me for every last detail. I couldn't even supply a car that it goes into, they had to be the one to procure car.. and charge me for that. Then they did their who-knows-what "testing" and charged me for every last cup of coffee along the way. After $10k paid, I finally get an EO#. Highway robbery and piracy I tell you!!!

Same thing with aftermarket-mods. You want to put on aftermarket exhaust? Nope, will fail smog-test visual inspection. Any aftermarket exhaust must same pipe OD as stock, or else they won't issue EO# for it. Can't change out header, injectors, ECU, not even air-filter! If any of these items are noticed by smog-tech, it's an automatic fail! Rule should be simple, if it passes smog-sniffer standard, it should be legal!
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

And you were saying Choneofakind?

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote