Old August 11th, 2017, 06:11 AM   #37
///M
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 94 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Sounds carb related to me.

Cleaning, adjusting, syncing, and maybe a shim on the needle should make it run properly.

Because it starts cold better than hot, I think it's getting too much gas. It should need some choke if it's stone cold, and it shouldn't idle that high wihtout any. A vacuum leak is a possibility.

The "bucking" would be another indication that something isn't right in the carbs. Probably too rich, but look at the plugs for clues.

Float height should be checked and idle mixture screws are best set in the range of 2.5 turns out for starters.
Just for a quick frame of reference - I set the idle high out of personal preference.

I added a couple shims to the needles with no change. I'm thinking I might have adjusted the floats too far? I did a pretty major adjustment (bike was running lean when I tested it previously, and there's a good possibility of me incorrectly measuring the 17mm float height).

Also the idle mixture screws are 3 turns out, I'll try 2.5 turns out. I'll also pull the plugs (when I get home from vacation that is) and see if it's running overly rich, and likely replace them while I'm at it (plug chop might be some good info?)

Bill - o-rings looked brand new when I pulled the carbs apart last.
///M is offline   Reply With Quote