View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #6
rustyshackelford
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
A few things need to happen in order to overflow the carbs enough to dump any amount of gas into the cylinders.

The job of the float valves ("needle and seat") is to stop the flow of gas when the floatbowls are filled. Something usually gets stuck in the valve and stops it from seating.

The secondary valve that stops fuel flow when the engine is not running is the petcock. It requires engine vacuum to open and allow gas to flow.

Both of them need to fail in order to dump enough fuel in the engine to hydrolock it.

You should look in the tank for rust, and confirm there is a filter in the fuel inlet at the carb. Many people feel using the OEM-type inline filter (https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:Fuel_Filter_4.JPG) is a better way to go than using the type you place in the fuel line after cutting it.

Most likely you will need to rebuild or replace the petcock.

Check you oil level. Many times the gas will get past the rings and contaminate the oil. If your oil level is too high, it's got gas in it.

There's a lot of related info here - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake
That is some super helpful info thank you. There is a fuel filter and no rust in the tank. There is gas in the oil though which I will be changing several times to flush it out (and replacing the oil filter). Is there anything else I should do to make sure there isn't any gas left?

I drained the tank not long ago because I thought the gas might be bad. When I did so I just turned the petcock to on and let the gas flowed/trickle out into a bucket. So since gas came out of the petcock without the bike running I guess I have a bad petcock and will be replacing that.

Is there any way to tell if the float valves are bad. I did not see anything about how to check them on the faq.
rustyshackelford is offline   Reply With Quote