View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I use my '02 EX250 as a commuter. Approximately 40 miles round trip daily, mostly highway with a little mix of city.

I also have the SW Motech Rack w/ a 36L Givi Monokey box.

For reference, I've had the rack on the bike for approximately 12k miles, and rode 8k of that this past summer on a 4 week cross country trip. Has been rock solid with no issues whatsoever. Fits two helmets, or a backpack and stuff heaped on.

Overall, it has been a great bike. Good mileage, enough get up and go for commuting, cheaper tires and chain/sprocket wear, cheap insurance etc.

You can go two up with that setup, but it's going to be a little cramped, and not the fastest thing in the world. You *could* track it, too. I am running 17" EX500 wheels on mine with radials (fork and swingarm swaps), and good track tires are available if you do that. Even if you don't, Sport Demons and BT45s aren't that bad, either.

Weather protection isn't the best. A bigger bike will certainly be better in cooler weather. As you're in Ohio (Go Tribe ), I'll assume this is a 'better' weather commuter?

The Ninja WILL work. But plenty of other bikes will work too, with various disadvantages and advantages. You'll have to judge that for yourself...
Good to know, especially the bolded (that's the exact kind of insight I was hoping to glean from thread).

I plan on using this in better-ish weather. I'm from the northeast - I'm not opposed to cold, but I also know how quickly cold can turn dangerous if you can't do anything about it (doubly so when your dexterity is required for survival). I plan to ride into the later fall, but snow/ice/subzero temps are out.
I'll probably plan some short weekend rides when the temp drops to test gear within "recovery distance" of the house, so I can test in a safer environment (commute is about 30 minutes - don't want to be stuck out there trying to figure it out). I've been commuting via car for about a year now on the same route, so I'm not stuck with the bike in January if the weather sucks.

I've looked a bit at the V-Strom/Versys/F650 bikes - I'm a bit wary of them as I'm on the shorter side (30" inseam), and the Ninja was "just about right" in the seat-height arena. Seat height can also be counted as a "pro" for the cruisers (FWIW).

Thanks!
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote