View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #62
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyTriggs View Post
Ok I’ve got a lot of work cut out for me. Good thing it’s winter so I won’t feel so bad not being able to ride. Having said that, anyone that has done an engine rebuild before I would gladly appreciate your support and patience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyTriggs View Post
Anyone have any tips they can give me? Past mistakes?
I’m in accord with other suggestions: get used engine for $2-300 and spend 5-6 hrs swapping it in.

I’ve rebuilt about 10 bike engines and around 20 auto engines of my own. For customers, I performed about 50 engine-upgrades on Porsche engines in my shop. I’ll estimate rebuilding that engine’s going cost you at least $500 in parts, if they’re even available. And about $500 in machine-shop services to cut & polish crank (or line-bore cases with new crank), resize rod-end, hone bores and fit pistons and rings. And you’ll be spending about 40-60 hrs of your own time disassembling and ferrying pieces of that engine around to various machine shops.

Here’s my first bike that I rebuilt after 10-yrs. Cost me about $1000 for spare engine and rebuild parts along with $600 in machine shop services (a little hot-rodding with larger valves, radiused seats and higher compression).

Took about a year to build up this car for Open Track Challenge

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; November 15th, 2017 at 09:55 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote