View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #8
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
Ok I picked up a non-running 250 with 7300 miles. It had been sitting for 6 years. Bad main fuse. Ok let's try to start. No choke, shot of ether and gas. Starts right up. Few minutes it settles into a nice 1200 rpm idle. Now let's go for a ride. Shifts well, but under load breaks up at 6000 rpms. Will rev higher no under load 7-8000 rpms. No bog at all.

Took carbs apart and were remarkablely clean. I am sure some of those very small passage ways are blocked.

Question:
My plan is to do the K&N pod filter.
Should I try to get the bike running stock or jump right to the pods? I am good at rebuilding carbs. Plus you guys have great info about jets and shims.
I already removed the air box, but can reinstall.
Is there any stator issues or electrical issues that cause a ninja to break-up at 6000 rpms.

One comment about Bluecollorbobbers. I asked for a discount code and they gave me discount code. I mentioned I was not totally running right. Lance, the owner, suggested I should hold off on buying the kit until I was running 100%.
Hard to believe he would delay a sale because I was not running 100%. Here is a guy who has more concern for a buyer, who he does not know, then making a sale. My hat is off to him and his company.
Think twice about the air box removeal and the K&Ns. I don't believe you will gain 1/2 a horsepower. In fact, my non scientific opinion is you will lose power. If Kawasaki could have produced more horsepower with your modification they could have reduced their unit manufacturing cost and had a quicker motorcycle.

Bill