Originally Posted by MrChomper View Post
1. Replace rear sprocket with 44T JT Sprockets JTR486
2. Replace front sprocket with 15T JT Sprockets JTF516
3. Replace chain with RK racing 520-SO-106 chain
4. Replace rear tire with Kenda K671 130/90H-16
5. Replace front tire with Kenda K671 100/90H-16F
6. Replace fork springs with Progressive springs & 15wt fork oil
7. Replace stock shock with Ninja 300 shock
After a few days and a few hundred miles with these modifications I feel like I can give a little road report on each.

Front/Rear sprocket change:
1. 1st gear is actually useable
2. Highway cruising is more comfortable
3. No negative impact to city riding
4. Why wasn't the bike geared like this from the factory?

Kenda K671s (front/rear)
1. Confidence inspiring, consistent, reliable, you actually just stop thinking about them because they are completely predictable.
2. Smoother and more grip than stock tires
3. Handles bumps, potholes, pavement irregularities, and seams in roads (ones that go down the center of your lane for miles) without any surprises. Compared to the stock units, well there's no comparison. The stock tires were unpredictable, and often would get redirected by the slighted irregularity in any road.
4. Recommended. Good touring, commuter tire, even with a good lean they are very stable

Fork Springs & 300 shock:
1. No more rocking horse
2. Stable as a larger displacement bike
3. Compliant and predictable over bumps, even when cornering
4. Less fatigue and elbow pain, as the bike doesn't nose dive any longer
5. I think I do want to tune the fork a bit more, probably just add a little more preload to tighten things up a bit (20 minute job for the weekend)

All together:
These modest modifications really do transform the bike. In stock form, it's a fun bike, but it's almost toy like in a lot of ways in how squirrely it can be in terms of handling, and tire grip. Yeah that's fun, but it's also NOT confidence inspiring, and at times a bit terrifying. With these modifications you get all the all the fun of a small light bike, without any of the stability trade-offs you take on in stock form.

I have more fun on this bike now than ever before (and it has always been very fun), and I find myself always looking forward to my next ride on it.

All in all, i'm very impressed and happy with these modifications. It really does bring out the best in our little ninja without losing any of the fun.
MrChomper is offline   Reply With Quote