View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Keithb7
2008 & 2010 250cc

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2008 and 2010 Ninja 250

I am fairly new to the Ninja but have experience with other gas toys. If the bike did start and run and now won't there are a couple tricks I would try.

3 basic things. Fuel, compression & spark. A good foundation to start for troubleshooting.

Double check the spark plugs. Pull one and lay it on the head. Crank bike over. You should be able to see spark. Check both plugs.

If plugs are good, I would consider compression test next. Do you have access to a compression tester? Best to know what is going inside your engine. This will tell us a ton of things.

Fuel: You say you know you are getting fuel. There are a couple ways I like to check fuel supply. Pull carbs. Remove bowls. Clean in there? Gas residue in the bowls? Pull and clean jets. Check that float needles are opening and closing properly. I simply put the bowl gas input fitting up to my lips and blow in. LOL. With the bowls off you can open and close the flat needle. Are the opening and closing properly? You'll hear the air supply move and feel resistance when you blow in. Ensure carb internal parts are assembled properly. With Clean jets back in place you can blow compresses air through all the jets and other tiny orifices. Check choke linkage. Appear to be moving properly? Fuel line removed from carb. Put fuel line into a jerry can. Open fuel petcock to "Prime" position. Drain some fuel into gas can. Lots coming out? Good flow? Clean, fresh gasoline used in the tank? Re-install carbs and all related parts.

Turn fuel tank petcock to "Prime" position to re-fill carb bowls. Turn petcock to normal run position. Choke on, fully charged good battery? Crank engine over. Still won't run? This is where I get creative with an alternate fuel supply.

I have done this on single carb engines, not twin carbs so no guarantees here. I get a propane torch. Safety glasses. Don't ignite it. Just set it up so the propane gas can come out. A small amount. Get the bike outside. Remove bike air filter. Have a friend crank the engine over while you open up torch gas valve a little and put torch nozzle in the intake box. As close to a carb intake as possible. Just a little propane while the engine is cranking over. Don't over do it. Be very careful and limit the amount of propane used. The engine will likely fire up and run on the propane gas supply. While it is running, shut off the propane. Does the bike stall? Then absolutely you have a gasoline delivery problem.

This only a brief test to confirm engine will run on alternative fuel supply. If it does and won't run when propane is removed, it's time to look at the fuel system again in it's entirety.
Keithb7 is offline   Reply With Quote