Thread: Tow vehicles
View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2018, 08:30 AM   #23
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Anyone used or seen a newer long-wheelbase Transit Connect or Ram Promaster City for hauling 1 bike?

The original Transit Connect was too short, but they have since introduced a longer version. Not sure how the Ram compares, but Enterprise does rent them.
I haven't spent time with the Promaster City. The Transit Connect is "doable" but a hassle. If I recall correctly, it was still a bit smaller at the rear hatch than a Mercedes Metris. It's in the "slightly better than a minivan," but still a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
Having had all 3 options over the years. Go with a van.
Maybe not a newer Transit, but definetly a van. There are older E-350 high tops with tall back doors out there. A standard height can work but your always bent over due to the low roof. The smaller enclosed trailers suffer the same lack of standing height inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burphel View Post
Personally, I'd choose the van. In hindsight, a low-roof eurovan (Transit/Sprinter/Promax) would have been a better choice for me than my Grand Caravan. If you're just doing one bike a 5x10 enclosed will be fine and you can camp inside at the track. If you ever think you'll want to tow two bikes, a 5x10 box is extremely cramped (I've tried it with the Ninja and Bonnie). With an open trailer, you can have a handlebar over the sidewall, and move around to strap the bikes down. With a box trailer, you're crawling over the bikes to get the second one strapped in. Although if you did Pitbull trailer restraints, it'd be a lot easier. No crawling over for straps and you could stagger the bikes front/rear.
Thanks for your thoughts. I would be using Pitbull TRS for securing the bike in either scenario. I am over having to deal with cross strapping two bikes and dealing with everything when unloading.

Personally, the low-roof vans are fine for just transportation. However, I would be staying in the van, and I've found the high roof to be much more comfortable with being able to stand up. Also, I've sold my girlfriend on a high roof van for the potential of a camper van conversion down the road. It would be nice to save on bike transport with a trailer, but looks like I'll just stay focused on the vans.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote