View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2019, 09:31 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Note that twisted forks isn't same as bent fork tubes. With bent tubes, you can only fix by getting straight ones. Unless you have this special tool and know how to use it.

Twisted forks are caused by upper & lower triple-clamp being out of alignment with each other. Upper clamp holes aren't inline & concentric with lower ones. This is caused by leverage of long fork tubes twisted by wheel on offset impacts. This twists triple clamps and fork tubes are no longer parallel. Similar to chop-sticks, when you change their angle, it rotates the object your holding in yaw direction. In this case, it's front wheel.

To "relax" fork:

1. Put bike on centre-stand or swingarm stand

2. Use jack under engine to lift front-end off ground, or use front stem stand, or hang from rafters (my preferred)

3. Remove front wheel

4. Loosen upper triple-T fork-tube clamps

5. Loosen upper triple-T centre bolt and remove T

6. Sight down fork-tube and look for bends and parallelism

7. Loose lower triple-T fork-tube clamps and waggle fork-ends to remove any last twists

8. Rotate fork-tubes to get both parallel if they're slightly bent.

9. Install upper triple-T

10. Sight fork-tubes and ensure they're still parallel, wiggle ends as necessary

11. Adjust fork tube heights

12. Tighten lower fork-tube clamps

13. Tighten upper triple-T centre bolt

14. Tighten upper fork-tube clamps

15. Reinstall wheel and lower bike

That's it! If I have crash at track, I always do this fork relaxing procedure before heading out again. If I have time, I'll even do string test to align wheels as well.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote