View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2020, 07:17 AM   #7
Dieseldog
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

The bike is completely stock with 25,000 miles. The only thing that I found to be different from stock was the pilot jet it was a 40. The only changes that were made were the pilot jet back to the 38 and I put the old washers from the mixture screws on the needle to shim it. I'm going to take the carbs off again and put the 40 back in and remove the shims. Then I can test my theory about the changes. The mixture screws didn't look the same because the space between the threads and top of the head was larger but the tip of the needle to the threads was the same and they both seated the same and sat the same in the carb. I didn't check the initial screw adjustment. The floats were in good condition and had no holes. I tested them in a jar of fuel. Now one thing I was told by my Harley mechanic friend is that the float valve seats need to be cleaned really good. He said to get a few cotton swabs and a drill load a swab in the chuck and hit the inside to remove the crud that you can't see and polish the seat. When I cleaned the carbs I didn't even think about that. So my list of things to do on my carbs is completely disassemble but not separate them again, soak everything for a few hours, run cleaning wires through all the passages, use compressed air to blow out passages, use the drill and cotton swabs in the needle seats, recheck float height dry and wet, replace pilot jet back to 40, remove shim from needles, compare mixture screws again to make sure they are identical to the old ones, set to 2.5 turns out, replace all of the vacuum and overflow lines along with clamps, inspect intake boots for cracks, disassemble clean and inspect the petcock, clean the tank again, put fresh 91 octane and stabil marine. Any suggestions on anything else I should do to the fuel system is greatly appreciated. I'll be adjusting the valves while the carbs are soaking so I can remove that variable from the equation.
Dieseldog is offline   Reply With Quote