View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:26 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldog View Post
I got the carbs redone and I put the 40 pilot jet back, removed the shim from the needle and following the advice given here put the old fuel adjustment screws back in. I bought a digital caliper and reset the float height. The little paper measuring tape I used wasn't accurate at all. The fuel adjustment screws were adjusted to 2.5 turns out but when I looked inside to see if the height was the same one was lower in the port than the other so I adjusted it in just a bit to match the other. So now the needle is even in both. The intake boots were oriented properly and there were no cracks. I used acetone and a pressure sprayer can to blow through the ports and jets. I made mini scrubbers out of stripped copper speaker wire and cleaned all the tubes, ports and surfaces back to shiny aluminum. I also cleaned the tank again and I'm glad I did. The petcock strainers were almost non-existent so I completely removed them because the pieces that came off were inside the valve. Can the strainers be replaced somehow? New fuel filter. It starts as it did before and I was able to set the idle easily. I haven't rode it very far but it runs damn good now. Starts without choke and warms in about 4 minutes. Oh yeah I also replaced the vacuum lines but the hose I got from the local Tractor Supply store was really hard so I used some heat to soften up the ends. Do you think this will be ok or should I just get some fresh hose? I'm using a little bit of oil but I don't have any leaks and I don't see any smoke while riding could this be the valve seals? I'm going to take a long cruise and I'll let you know how it goes.
You are probably too rich with a 40 Pilot at 2.5 turns out. You should need some enrichment (choke) to start cold.

I've never seen a Ninja 250 warm up in 4 minutes while idling. Most take some time on the road to get to operating temp, and there is a cooling system design issue that is working against warming quickly.

Set the idle mixture screws to get the highest RPMs and check the carb sync with vacuum gauges when fully warm.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.