View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #498
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 250r View Post
A lot of people describe the performance of the stock 250r in the low gears/RPMs as "boggy". But can someone describe what it actually feels like?

1st is also very jerky and sometimes I stuggle to keep a constant feel when moving very slowly (say in a car park).

Maybe I'm just not giving it enough throttle but I sort of feel I shouldnt have to rev the cr@p out of it to get a smooth performance.

Am I describing what others have also felt when riding the stock 250r?

I cut your quote down. First "boggy" usually means when you give a vehicle (car/bike) more gas, it initially kind of falls on it's face. It wants to go, but it hesitates and then takes off. It's that lag that is called a "bog!" Many times it is from more air than gas coming thru the intake, which of course, is a lean condition.

1st being jerky can be fixed by shimming your needles, but this is assuming that you're not having clutch issues (not mechanical) meaning you're the one causing the problem. By you having to rev it definitely means the engine is running too lean in first gear. Another reason to shim the needles.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote