View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2021, 01:55 PM   #2
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

in the past I have made the rubber round cushions for the front of the gas tank to slide over out of a few pieces of rubber hose... a large heater hose off a truck for the outside big ring and then a piece of 1/2" garden hose inside of that one... I usually make them 1" long and assemble the garden hose on there first
then the larger hose goes on it... if there is a difference in the size of the hoses I use black electrical tape in several wraps to build up the difference to a snug fit.
but the large hose is the trick... an automotive store may well have some that fit the cup in the gas tank perfectly I just used what I had laying around ...
and then used the black tape to compensate ... if you cut the hose pieces too long they will interfere with the tank sliding up to where it's supposed to be
but it SHOULD be a snug fit... I lost the frame rubbers on an old DT1 years ago and just made up some out of large radiator hose for it.
you could conceivably just wrap black tape around it but that would degrade over time and come all apart... but if you make everything up there a snug fit it is bound to be alot better. running without those rubbers will ware a hole in the gas tank...so don't do it... even an old mud flap cut in strips and rolled around the pins till their the right size to fit the tank is better than nothing....
then wrap in black take to hold them in a circle...
anything is better than nothing !
Bob.......