View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2021, 08:16 PM   #8397
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I forced myself to get out and go for a ride.... wish i'ed had stayed home now ! LOL
the ride went well, the bike ran great and as I was practicing getting my corners right
i started to actually have fun on the bike !
I noticed I wasn't looking far enough ahead, started looking further ahead and the corners were alot easier .... the old adage of looking through the turn, really does apply !
I came to my turn off to head up to the mountain top went about 1000 ft and they had put cones on the road with a big sign that said road closed to public trafic.
I had just been up that road last week and found that confusing as all heck... but...
being a law abiding citizen, I figured I'ed better follow the rules and turn around...
I haden't realised that the road was so steep where I stopped so I let off the front brake to back around and as I did so it got away from me and fell over... so I crushed yet another turnsignal and added a few more scratches to the shinie green fairing...
I managed to get the bike up in the middle of the road and get around to the other side and get the kick stand down... then I got back on it.... I knew it would be hard to start again after dumping the fuel bowls into the intake so I held the throttle wide open and it finally started fireing... then cleaned up and all was normal...
Obviously I wasn't the only other person aggravated by the closure of the road because some 4 wheeler ran over 50% of the marker cones ! LOL
disgruntled and mad at myself I decided to head back home....
I played with my body position and all on that little jaunt and found that if I am actually touching the tank with my crotch I can actually take the weight off my arms and steer it like normal.... I was conscious to bend at the hips today as well not with the back and that did help some.... so all in all it was a learning experience... and more scratches on the ninja ! ...but I did get out and ride the thing !
I am still surprised at the get up and go that that little bike has. I hit 70mph several times on it on the straights but ran into a windy area and slowed down.... as the wind really kicks that little bike around easy.... it's so short coupled that it maneuvers real fast. and that allows the wind to kick you around easy...
but I did enjoy the ride even if I scratched it yet again..... OH well !
it's funny that little 250cc bike is as heavy as my Honda 305 dream was back in the 70's
but about 3 times as powerful ! LOL
now I have a mirror to tighten again and a turn signal to replace ( yah, I bought extras!)
I'm considering buying those stand off sliders so when I do drop it Again... it'll do less damage.... anyone have a recommendation on them ?
Bob......