View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #48
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I want to get another bike. My wife thinking cycling is a passing fad of mine, but it is actually quite the opposite. Than again, I have only had my 1.5 for 3 months.

How are fixies? I need to figure out my gearing on the 1.5 of mine, so I can simulate it and figure out if it is something I'd like to pursue getting.

My crank is 50/34. My cassette is SRAM PG-950 11-26, 9spd. Not sure what kind of gearing selection I should choose in order to simulate a single speed. That way I can test it to make sure it would be something worth chasing after.
texas is flat so i would start off with the most common ratio, 48/18 and go from there. with that said, i have to admit that i have tiny petite legs, but they're strong. you can google a gear ratio calculator and compare your favorite gear with 48/18. there are many combinations that can get you close to the 48/18 so you can re-use your existing sprockets. you will have to swap out your rear hub and mess with aligning the chain.

fixies will make you a more 'aware' rider, it's great for training/commuting. they're light and dependable. and working on them yourself is so fun. i can take my bike apart to pack into a suitcase with a 15mm open end pedal wrench, a 4/5/6mm hex wrench and a chain breaker. track bikes are different...the seat tube angles are close to vertical and you're tucked in like you're about to step off in a sprint. they're fast and responsive (twitchy).
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote