Thread: Gas Tank
View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2022, 08:50 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
yeah, two different size bolts to hold fairing onto tank. Longer one goes on bottom where there's nothing behind. But shorter one is required for upper hole as there's only about 5mm of thread. Put longer bolt in there....

I've found with age of these bikes and numbers of previous owners, half of whom are below average, that most tanks have been punctured. Out of previous 8 pre-gens I've restored and sold off, about 3/4th had punctured tanks.

Don't even think about JB-Weld! That stuff has caused more crappy repairs on cars & motos than anything else. IT WILL NOT WORK BECAUSE THAT CRAP IS NOT PETROL PROOF!!!

I've found it's easiest to drain tank, let sit outside for a day, then rinse with soapy water gets it ready for welding. Then I braze some brass into puncture hole (positioned flat so hole is up & down). I give it a little extra heat and brass slides to bottom of hole. Let cool and hole is plugged with metal!!! Actual time spent is about 15-min. Most of that is sanding and cleaning to prep that hole!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 19th, 2022 at 10:57 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote