View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #36
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatos_locos View Post
that is what i was thinking off now lets blend a bigger brake rotor in the recipe ( more piston in the caliper, ss line ) would it worth the cost for the upgrade ?

i still havent found a bigger better brake rotor

A '98-'03 R1 (or '04-'07 VMax also, with different design) right hand side rotor will fit. Like the '08-'10 Ninja 250 it has a 6 bolt pattern and is a flat disc with no offset. The bolt hole circle diameter will be the right size, but the bolt holes themselves will have to be drilled out 2mm. (Big deal!) Either one of those will take you from the factory 290mm disc to a 298mm... not really worth it... but it sure would look cool with a gold floating disc on it. It might even fit in the stock caliper, oh and its a little lighter and has a better design and will probably cool better.

A '03-'09 Yamaha FJR1300 (ebay NEW , USED)will also need the bolt holes widened 2mm, but it has a 320mm external diameter. This is the biggest *ALMOST FIT* disc for the 250 I have found! Thats 30mm over stock, or 1-3/16" to you imperial guys. So if wanna go this route and you're anal, buy the brand new single one, if your a d1ck, buy the pair and sell the second one to your friend for what you bought the pair for.

I believe the '04-'05 R1 disc could also work with some modifications. The inner diameter will fit on the 250 wheel, and there is no offset. It has a different bolt pattern, but it has a 310mm diameter, a 20mm increase over stock. I don't have one of these on hand, but bikebandit's microfiche shows 5 bolt holes... maybe you can redrill one of these for 6 holes? This might be a cheap alternative to buy a used one of these and make it fit.

I'm sure there are some other discs that might work with a little hacking, but no matter which you choose you're going to have to come up with your own caliper mount bracket... if you're buying brand new parts you'll spend a fortune, + the fab costs for the bracket. But if you're handy, or have access to a shop, I say start cuttin'!

Last futzed with by TheDuck; January 8th, 2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: insomnia
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote