View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2022, 05:59 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

My Ninja does NOT like the cold !

on a Whim today I fired up the Ninja to move it into the shed for the winter
.... it's 50deg. and It did not want to start at all.... when it finally did it would
fire for a few times then die so I'd try starting it again. this went on for a few minutes till I finally got it to keep idling but really slow ....below 1000 RPM
any throttle and it would gasp and die.... this is with the choke full on mind you
so realising that it was because of the cold I kept trying to get the RPM's up but it would just gasp and die ....or drop dramatically finally I got it above 3500 RPMs and I knew it would warm up at that speed ... so I set there in the cold babying it till it slowly warmed up enough to take throttle and not fall flat on it's face. by then I could feel the heat rising from below so I know it was warm enough to operate but she didn't act right at all... 12 grand in RPM usually cleared the girl out but although it was running on both cylinders it just acted starved for fuel.... it's response to the throttle was slow....slower than it was a few weeks ago.
I finally put it in gear and moved it into the shed, although I am going to curse myself the way I put it in there because it will be a bitch to get out again..... but at least it is in there and under cover now....
I think this means it is time for a good thorough carb cleaning with the ultrasonic cleaner and all this time..... as this is the worse it's ran in many months !but at least I have the special tools it takes to work on this thing this time.( I think)
I think she only got one ride this summer and that wasn't a long one at that
she still has sta-bul in the gas tank i am sure...as when I added fuel to the tank from a can I added a bit of sta-bul just for general purposes !
I swapped motorcycle covers on the Triumph and RX4 and they fit alot better ! that is what started this little fiasco !
a month or so ago when it was 70deg. i hopped on the Ninja and turned on the choak and turned on the key and hit the starter button and it fired right up and quickly reached 5000RPM because of the choak being on....
it's been like that all summer.... but this time when it was colder was a real battle !
Now I know it shouldn't do that, it should run just as good in cold weather as it does in warm weather.... which makes me thing a carb cleaning is in order
but this little bike does NOT like the cold !

Bob......