View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #1
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Home brew electronic lean gauge

This project has now advanced into a shift gear display gauge. See here for the latest details.

Well, all this microcontroller talk lately has got me going I must admit. A lean gauge sounded like a fun project for my bike. I spent the last hour throwing together this project cause I was bored.

Fortunately I had most of the stuff on hand. All I need is an accelerometer from Fry's electronics for my basic stamp. I have a nice little "project box" I'd like to sandwhich the circuit into.

The idea is to start the unit when you start your run, then when you stop your run it holds the furthest lean accomplished. During the run it will also display current lean angle (although you won't be looking at it while you are leaning!)

Here's a picture of the test microcontroller circuit.
Like I said I need an accelerometer, and then I have to program it and stuff it in a box and velcro it to the dashboard and I get to try it out.

I have a video uploading shortly of the test circuitry blinking some LED's. I suppose I could put an LCD on but I want to keep it simple and small to fit my project box.

You can see the project box (small black garage remote looking thing on the bottom left corner of the picture) that I plan to stuff the lean gauge in.

This circuit only uses about half of the output pins of the microcontroller to drive the LEDs. I suppose I could put other projects or code onto the circuit as well.. even though this is a very minor and limited MCU. Maybe a button to press to select from a menu of options.

The row of LED's indicates how much lean. Each LED will stand for a certain amount of lean once I get the accelerometer and program the unit. There is also a power LED and you can see the programming wires going to my PC serial port.

Too be continued.. I have lots of other projects going on at the moment as well.

Last futzed with by ninja250; February 20th, 2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: changed title and project goals
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote