View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2023, 07:15 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

the only time I ever seen a benifit from the above mentioned safety switches was when I was taking the RX4 out for a ride.... I started the bike and put it in gear and it imediately died.... confuzed I put it back into neutral and started it again.... and I thought if it does it again I'm doing something wrong....
I put it in gear and it immediately died again.... so I thought ok.... it's helping me to keep me from doing something stupid...what is it ? I looked down and saw the side stand was down.... I thought Ah HA ! the bike is smarter than I am !
i put the side stand up , pulled in the clutch and hit the starter and it fired up and away I went.... it did actually keep me from driving away with my side stand down.... so they are helpful.... because in the past many years ago I dumped it hard from doing that..... I took off made several right turns and then turned my first left.... the side stand hit and kicked the back of the bike up so hard i lost control and slid to a stop.... that was definitely RUDE and uncalled for but very logical in how it happened.... you can't think of everything all the time and some times you miss important things... having safety switches in almost every case is a good thing....
until you forget about them ! HAHAHAHAH
I did have a side stand safety switch die on me and it took me about 3 days to find the problem..... it showed up as a no spark issue....
and I played hell finding it.... but I bypassed the switch and got spark
it was like you dirty little switch !!!! I never replaced that switch and just hot wired it....i think that was on my VT700 honda shadow....I had to trace the wiring diagram following the power to the ignition system and I finally found the switch either grounds or completes the power to the system...I don't remember which..... but it was a bugger to find !
Bob.......