View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2023, 04:58 AM   #48
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja ex250 blue and 07 Ninja black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Hay Jay ! I just had a thought..... I just re read my posts on getting my bikes back up to snuff after winter, and it refreshed my memory on what I found on the Ninja after installing the carbs.... I got it running and Idling real good taking throttle but it would not rev higher than 4~5K and it was missing up at that RPM.....
the next day I played with the air screws and turned them out about 1/2 a turn
and the bike would then Rev to 9K+ with no problem
so I am thinking ...if you set the airscrews to factory specks that may well be the problem..... my bike refused to rev past 4k but after turning out the air screw it reved fine..... super weird I know but that is what it did....
I then adjusted the airscrews on both carbs properly and it went back to flat topping at 4K
I haven't messed with it sense.... maybe the answer is simply turn out the airscrews 1/2 turn eh ?
the air screw setting is working all the time, the gas is being sucked into the cylinder from the airscrew no matter what the RPM
so it stands to reason that it would effect the Higher RPM area if it was set too lean....

.... it's a thought !
Bob........
Definitely tried tuning those screws and could not get past the wall.

I think Jim called it right away with this being a fuel delivery problem with the carb.

I was cleaning the pilot jets and saw what looked to be a mesh screen, though I was crazy but others have seen it. I think it's the light from the emulsion tube.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62024

I've ordered new stock oem jets to rule out any bad cleaning tools being used by previous owners. Someone at some point put some torque on the pilot jets with the wrong size screw driver and the slots are a bit spun out for my liking.

I've changed up my cleaning technique this time around.

Still soak in the dip, air, wire,ultrasonic wash, air, then wiring every hole and passage but I've added a low pressure fluid flush to all passages in both directions so that I can prove proper flow.

I'm comparing both carbs to each other for my baseline. When they have a matching good fluid flow and compressed air flow passage is clean.

I'm using a needle tip squeeze bottle I have from Amazon it's perfect for this.

Fluids used for flushing, I've used techron and hoppes number 9. I like that they both flow but thick enough to stick on passage walls. Both found some gunk during flushing. I'm hoping that's the smoking gun and I can publicly eat some crow and join the "I've cleaned my carbs and they are perfect club"

Once flushing is complete I dunk and flow distilled water then blow out with air.

Going to flush with carb cleaner today just to remove any chemicals left behind that the water flush didn't get.

I'll keep you posted waiting on the jets to arrive.
Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote