Thread: Clutch Died
View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2023, 08:51 AM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL Yah I guess we've all seen them like that but that is the classic "I ain't going another mile till this is fixed" Routine !
I admit I wore the sprockets down till they were just sharp needles on the rear
on my 305 once..... I didn't have the $35.00 it took to buy a new one so I just kept riding it.... I was working only 2 days a week at the gas station and money was really tight.... I was comming back from seeing my future wife in the hills north of Redding when on a long hill I noticed the first skip... that is a weird feeling I slowed down a bit and then sped up and it skipped about 30 times then.... but I was almost to the top of the hill so I just babbied it to the top
and continued.... there are several hills from there to the Ranch and it slipped on every hill.... needless to say it got fixed the next payday !
I knew it was going to happen but I thought I had more time.... Nope !
.... before I went to work I tightened the chain adjustment a bit just to get me to town.... and that helped a huge amount.... that got me through till payday and I went to the Honda shop with my check in my hand ! LOL
the guy behind the counter said he'd cash the check for me so I went away with $10.00 in my wallet and the 2 sprockets and chain.... I was ever so glad to replace those sprockets !
Yes 2 teeth in the front will make a big change on the RPM of the engine
at speed the rule of thumb I use is 10mph per tooth on the front for 3~5 teeth on the rear it's 10mph as well..... so with the final drive alone you can really change the cruise speed on the bikes !
My brother in law put a 72 tooth sprocket on a Bridgestone 50cc back when I was a kid and that bike became a kick to ride it would wheelie so easy it wasn't even funny... top speed was 25 or 30 mph though ! BUT it would go anywhere it had traction to go !
I have a 16Tooth sprocket o the front of my Ninja and that changed so much about that bike it was unreal.... I no longer had to shift 3 times before reaching 20mph and it spaced the gears out alot better and cruising at 70 was super easy it made a world of difference for me !
Bob.......