View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2023, 11:56 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Wow that's a good looking bike ! congrats !

HA ! I am glad you are happy ! now the pirty one and you can go for rides
and that is where the fun is !
I spent the first 10 years of bike riding on a 1963 90cc Honda sport.
so yes 45 ~50mph was tops , but it ran forever ! when I first got it it had a tendency to melt pistons and it took a long time to figure that out as I was just a snot nosed kid at the time.... when I finally figured out the main jet was too small and replaced it with a bigger one it never seized a piston again.
I put on thousands of miles on that little bike and found later that the front brake works differently on heavier bikes if you hit the front brake on my Honda 90cc it would almost always slide out from under you and leave you hurting on the ground especially on dirt roads.... tell her to only use the back brake !
yes the stopping power is in the front but you will go down if you use the front brake on the dirt.... I know I did it a hundred times !
.... as I got older I got bigger heavier bikes and they do react differently
mostly your not on the dirt with them.... and the front brakes actually work good....
So to this day I use the front brake lightly and I think it's safer to do it that way.... I save the front for emergency braking..... or holding still at a stop sign !
However I have used the front brake on the ninja hard in corners just to see how she reacts and there is no problem with that heavy little girl
but I tend to favor the rear brake more than the front when riding in general
just because of the past experience of the front sliding out so many times in the past.... you learn to leave that front brake alone especially on the dirt
or on a little bike I had the front try to slide out from under me on the main road on the 90cc as well.... the front just does not have the traction it needs to slow the bike much.
it's not the bike that will Kill you its the cars ! you must drive defensively or die. if you teach your gal one thing teach her that ! a 200lb bike does not fair well when they tangle with a 4000 lb car.

Bob........