View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2023, 01:24 PM   #37
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

the exhaust system that is on the bike now came with the bike when I bought it, I did manage to get the stock muffler from the guy , but I have never had it on the bike.
I am almost positive that the hedders are stock and just the muffler was changed
... I did buy a large box of extra plastics for the bike that the guy has replaced
because of scratches, which was a smart move on his part or I would not have paid as much as I did for the bike ($4000.00)
the bike has a dead battery and would not run , I told him I didn't have a truck but if he would bring it to me and I liked the look of it I'ed buy it for his asking price...
(i was getting desperate, I had been without a bike for at least 2 years by then! )
it IS a california Model and still has all the smogg **** on it.
the Air cleaner as far as I know is totally stock I've had it out, cleaned it and put it back in... it looks stock to me, a foam filter square incert in the rt.side of the bike.
i believe he told me he put a Jet kit in it and the muffler, other than that it was a stock bike.
I expect the "Jet Kit" was a cheepo Chinese Kit from E-Bay
the plug color is black.... or super dark grey.... (it does not use any oil )
the bike has always been hard to start.... when cold....cleaning the carbs 3 times finally got the bike to start fairly well... but it will not start without the choke when cold and it takes a extreamily long time to warm up
so the bike has not run correctly sense I got it as it is running too rich
I did finally manage to Isolate the Smog crap on this thing and make sure the carbs were not sucking air from a vacuum line somewhere.... and it still did the same thing
that is it would bogg soon as you cracked the throttle ,same thing with it revving to 3,000RPM with the choke on soon as you try to give it gas it falls flat on it's face ...
I did get it to High RPM a few times though and the point to where it boggs is around 6,000~7,000 RPM above that point it throttles ok up or down in RPM. any thing below 6,000 RPM if you try to give it throttle it just boggs and tries to die.
........(and that is with NO vacuum lines attached , so I am sure it's the carbs)

...so I will box the carbs up and send them back to Gordon on Monday or Tuesday
coming up in a few days...
it's 70 degrees here today ! spring is finally here ! and the apple trees are budding out real fast !...
I got the XR650L Running really well now, it starts with a touch of the button now never makes a full revolution .it is burning a Tan color but being a air cooled bike I would like it a bit darker color... so that is in the works....
it won't be long and we'll be looking for ways to get cool again it's going to be a hot one! as summer usually is here.
Bob.........