View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #2
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

I would also like to add that anyone that is interested in this mod may not be able to do it with a stock airbox (though I think you can heatgun it and try to warp the bottom.) Or you can spend some money and get an Ohlins with a remote reservoir, or some other 2nd gen 250 aftermarket shock (I don't know of any at this time.)

Begin teardown, for anyone that has deleted the airbox knows just how much work it is to get into the middle of this bike. You have to tear off the complete undertail, so that requires removing anything attached to it, and anything attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the things attached to the undertail.

Needless to say you wind up with a big pile of stuff. Pile your parts someplace safe where they won't get stepped on or disturbed:

And here's the bike sans rear end:

And a closeup of the top shock mount on the frame (note the pod filters):

I went to drop the ZX6R shock into place, but it wouldn't fit between the suspension links underneath, they weren't spread wide enough apart, so I took them off then mounted the shock, then attempted to measure how much clearance I needed.

I found that the links are offset a bit to the right, so the left side needed more washers to clear the new shock. This also required some longer bolts, so a trip to the hardware store was required, upon return and assembly, we got this:

Last futzed with by TheDuck; January 16th, 2010 at 08:57 PM.
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote