View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2023, 11:28 AM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer View Post
Definitely don't want to start an oil war....

But from my personal experience of using Rotella t6 5w-40 on long hot rides the oil seems to fall apart and I experience notchy shifting and lot of from 1st to 2nd faults neutrals.

Normally I would not speak badly about Rotella but I can back up my statement because I have 2 07 pregens and the second bike starts doing the same behavior within minutes of mine.

Here's where I cut my own head off...

I've switched both bikes over to Mobil 4T 10w-40 and issues have disappeared and the engine and valve train is almost silent.

Just my opinion, let's focus on the issue and not turn this into another oil thread.
I would switch now to Valvoline 20W60 racing oil simply to "fill in the gap"
that the Thin oil caused.... 5w is just way too thin ....the recomended 10W40
is border line in my opinion... that's why I run 20W60 in the old triumph thicker oil is the way to go I've proven that with over 400k miles on a Toyota tercel by changing to progressively thicker oil as the miles stack on....
but yah everyone has oil favorites.... to me it's not the brand it's the viscosity that is important.... a new bike needs at least 10w to start out with
after 5000 miles to 10,000 miles you can to up a notch to thicker oil
but not much.... 25k to 50k is a better place tor 20w all the old bikes ran on 30W.... and their bearings were made for that tolerance putting 10W in a transmition that the bearings are made for 30w oil is a mistake in my mind
they haven't changed the tolerances in how roller bearings have been made
at least to my knowledge ! and there fore as soon as the piston and rings and valves have developed some ware it is time to go to thicker oil !
.... the Manufacturers know what they are doing.... they recommend a specific oil for a reason.... but ware changes things...bigger gaps open up quickly.
and need thicker oil to help the parts slide better... but if you go too thick
it will not get into the tight places like valve guides ! and they will seize.
so restraint is needed....
multigrade oil is designed to be thin when cold and as it heats up it gets thicker.... this is a good thing but that component burns out of the oil after 5,000 miles and the oil becomes the lower component of the measurement
say 10w40 becomes straight 10w .... so when Hot the engine has only 10w in it not the thicker 40w.... so changing the oil every 2,000 miles on a new bike is essential.. on a older bike every 4,000 is sufficient.
.... how do I know this.... I don't ! it's all guess work, so take it with a grain of salt .... but it is what I do, and have been doing most of my life and it works for me....
Usually a Loose sounding or noisy engine when running is a great candidate for thicker oil.... I sware by 20w60 Valvoline racing oil it has never let me down !
Bob..