View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2023, 09:06 PM   #22
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Now I am really confuzed ! I looked at several TIG welders a bit ago and almost all of the cheap ones came with a TIG Torch that had no heavy power cord plug in on them....
..... and that does NOT make sense ! the only thing I can figure is that the cheaper TIG welders made in China all buy their TIG torches from the same place and that place doesn't put on the heavy power cord because of the cost, the buyer is supposed to add it but I didn't see a single one that did !!!!! evedently they just get the package from the torch company and toss it in the box and they don't know it is supposed to have a power line for the torch..... at least 10 companies selling those small TIG units showed pictures of their coiled up tig torches and not a one had the power plug in on them !
...... THAT BOGGLES THE MIND !
..... You can't TIG weld if there is no power to the TIG torch tip ... the tungsten...
the Americana made units all $500 bucks and higher all showed their TIG torches and they had the power plug in the torch sheathing....
.....one thing for certain if I go to buy another I will make darn sure the torch has the power cable in it !!!!!
of course I could do what this old tony did on youtube, and just use my old Lincoln buzz box and hook a tig torch to it add a argon bottle and just scratch start !!!
I could weld Aluminum with it too as it is AC not DC
... Am I missing something here ? is there a new cheaper way they have to put power to the TIG torch than the traditional way ? it did say in the instructions that it would not work without a gas bottle hooked up.... maybe the electric power flows down the gas ?
I tricked the unit I had by using compressed air to the flow meter so the relay would close.... but maybe I wasn't as smart as I thought I was and it needs the Argon gas to flow the electricity through !?!?! highly unlikely but possible !
I can't see how 10 manifacturers would screw up so bad as to mess up like that.
so maybe it is the hi frequency electricity will flow down the gas tube to make the Arc?
once it hits the all copper collet for the Tungsten it would continue to flow un abated I would think....
I dunno ....I am confused !
Bob.......