View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2023, 01:54 PM   #45
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Ahhh that makes sense ! you know if they told you that in the instructions it sure would have helped !
so I had the same polarity when trying to TIG weld ?
but I set it up like the instructions said I think...
I don't know second guessing myself after the fact isn't doing anything at this stage.
I just know it should'a worked and didn't !
I'm not sure, but I think I tried both positions for the ground clamp trying to get the thing to arc...... I did everything I could think of and nothing happened it just clicked.
On that machine the Hose for the Argon hookup was directly in the middle between the Red and black terminals .....no way to tell by looking at it what polarity it had just by looking....(if any)

I went to Harbor freight tools last night to try and redeem my $15.00 of Rewards I had earned.... but the guy told me I needed the bar code so I said ok it's a bunch of BULL **** and walked off !
I went and looked at their TIG TORCH 150Amp unit and it had the separate power plug in like it should have... not like the torch on the Tooliom unit. so 2 different types of torches out now and the machines that use them are set up differently. something to be aware of !....

Who knows the welder may well have been working fine and it was the operator that was screwed up ! ( wouldn't be the first time that has happened! LOL)
the thing is I expected a old style TIG welder not some intrigrated gasline terminal
thing with fixed polarity for the TIG torch.... and if they tell you that in the literature they do it with letters and your supposed to know what those letters mean if you don't it's all greek.....
ah well it's all water under the bridge now...
Bob.......
heh, heh... they did write it up, but with dexlysia twist. Go to instructions for Tooliom welder:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HOM...y6fiiTVnN/view

Go to bottom of Page-7 - HF TIG WELDING SET-UP
Read from there to top of Page-8 where it says...

Quote:
"- Insert the Brass Connector of Ground Cable into the Positive (Red+) in Lower Right Front Panel of the Welder
They got their left <--> right mixed up.

Yeah, HF's welders are previous generation, probably getting them made private-label for cheaper than current models. Seems to last and works! Sold my HF Uno MIG welder after using it for 30-yrs. I upgraded analogue SCR speed-controller to digital PWM unit for much finer control and more torque. Added Hobart output capacitor for smoother sizzle! Was still going strong and new owner very happy.

I'm on my 2nd TIG unit from HF, upgraded from 120a to 145a model about 10-yrs ago. It's been working great! Thinking about getting AC TIG for working with aluminium... might just go to laser...
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote