View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2023, 06:31 PM   #1
DallasDude
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Pregen 250

Lightbulb Anyone tried the eBay/Amazon Chinese carb?

I have searched a lot online and only found a few mixed reviews on Amazon with one pregen owner saying it did the trick. The price is 100bucks. That’s 900 bucks cheaper than an oem carb on partzilla. I recently cleaned my carb and put it back together and it has the dreaded overflow gas leak only while running. From reading here it sounds like a stuck float. Rather than messing with it I decided to have a professional ultra sonic clean and rebuild it. Found a guy does carbs only on eBay and replaces with oem Japanese parts with 100% positive feedback for 300 bucks so off they go to him. In the meantime I thought why not give these brand new Chinese oem carbs a try for 100 bucks. If anything I might keep them as a backup when doing long travels to swap on should any issue happen since most issues in my experience with these bikes running seem to be the carb. ( this is my second pregen)

My other issues I’m dealing with,
Bought it used not running derusted the gas tank vinegar then electrolysis clean now and runs smooth except the leaking carbs that’s being addressed.

When I got it the starter selenoid must have stuck because it kept trying to start after releasing start button. I replaced it with a very new looking used one on eBay along with a newer used right control off eBay. Now that it’s installed nothing. No click sound nothing. I’m guessing I got a bunk selenoid so just ordered a brand new one. Hopefully that solves it. If not I’ll try a new control and I already made sure clutch cable was plugged in. I mean the bike would try to start when I got it. It must be the selenoid unless the wire harness went bad recently. The way I was able to start it was just putting needle nose across the two selenoid connections to test the carb.

I also went with the dynojet needles and decided to wisely not drill out my carbs. Also I feel the main jets they provide aren’t a good idea seeing as already the bike runs a little lean from the factory due to epa. They provide 4 jet sizes and recommend smaller main jets with their needles if using factory airbox. I decided to skip that idea because it’s already lean and I’m not sure their needles will make it run much richer however I get that their needles give good and better mid range and smoother response so they do provide bigger main jets but recommend them only if running pod filters which I’m not planning on. Knowing all this I decided to see how it goes with the stock 105 main jet size and dynojet needles with airbox and factory exhaust. I’m also at notch 3 on needles. If it runs just a tad richer than stock only from the needles then that’s perfect. Rather be on the richer side with a smoother powerband and idle.

Hopefully this bike has a long life. Only has 10k miles. Another issue is spark plug not as tight as I want. It’s tight but can’t get tighter. Maybe previous owner stripped it. I noticed 2 drop of oil from the top valve cover that dropped down to spark plug hole. Maybe previously overfilled with oil. I could try to get a rag in the hole to clean the threads of oil then do a 2000f ceramic loctight on it just to be safe but time will tell if it’s good enough as is.

Hopefully I’ll be back here with some post build pictures and info that’s positive.
DallasDude is offline   Reply With Quote