View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #86
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

4th needle clip position from the top and I no longer notice the transition between power bands. Much less noticeable and much more of a blended feel between 5-8k and 8-13k. Fires right up too and warms up quick.

I seems to have lost a slight amount of top end between 8-13K while improving the mid range and transition. Interesting response! Carb tuning is crazy.

I also spent the majority of the day teaching myself how to adjust the mixture screws. It was quite frustrating until I took a lunch break realized two things. 1) Don't let the bike get too hot while your adjusting it cause it'll start doing funny things and you'll falsely adjust the mix screw and 2) Instead of going by blips and by ear right off the bat, try 2.5 turns out on both screws and go from there.

I started by just turning the screw in until the throttle died off and then backing it out some but that put me at .75 turns out on the right screw and 1.75 turns out on the left screw. This led me to drop my idle speed, in turn making it further harder to adjust the mixture and the bike was running like crap. I started to get worried and took that lunch break to calm down.

What I had to do was set both mixture screws to 2.5 turns out, at which point my idle speed increased slightly, and I dropped it back down with the idle speed knob. Now the whole thing sounds perfectly smooth, does not dip below 1400-1500rpm when blipping throttle, does not hang from 3000 to 1500 for more than 2.5 seconds and just all around runs much smoother! Smoothest since I got it maybe?!

I guess everyone is going to have their own trick to that.
Now that I have figured out a mixture screw trick that works for me, I can play with it from there. I do notice low end hesitation is less now with better adjusted mixture screws.

Even though it sounded perfect after fixing the idle mixture screws, I'll get to work on the vacuum bottle sync tool for further fine tuning. She's running pretty smooth now and if I synchronize the carb now it will only get better!
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote