View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
Ah, but quick question- How much hassle is it to remove these once they've been installed? I mean, like, do they need to adhere to the fairings a bit? Should they theoretically be able to attach just as firmly if you need to remove them and install them a second time?
Tiffani, they're laughably easy to remove once you've got the cowling lowers off. They don't have to adhere to the fairings at all, it's just a nut & washer that attach to the threaded post coming out of the back of the LED assembly. I specifically let the liquid gasket cure (24h for the stuff I used) before putting them on the fairings so it wouldn't stick if I needed to remove them. If you're concerned about it sticking, you can skip the silicone gasket entirely and just have them resting directly on the paint or take a look at another method of sealing that gap (maybe foam tape?).

As for the soldering, it's a wonderful skill to have and it's fairly easy to do effectively. Making it pretty takes a bit more practice. I suggest reading thru the thread I linked and mebbe watching a video or two if you're really unsure. My most common mistake is heating up the wires I'm soldering too much and melting the insulation.