View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM   #51
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Well, one step closer. Progress feels good no matter how little.
The gauge will handle 12-15V from the bike.
Just need to tap the gauge into switchable power now and mount it with a plug so I can remove it in the rain. Then on to the switches and programming. Can you tell I'm putting the switches off?

For a short distraction, here is a video of the gauge operating from the bike. No more 9V batteries.
You'll notice I turned the bike off and on while the gauge is on. This was to test if it would fry from power surging. I still might need more testing in that area but I put fuses all over and made the chips replaceable so we should be OK as far as meltdowns go. (Fingers crossed)

The LED's are going a bit crazy in the video but that's all a programming variable fix once the gauge is completely wired to the bike.

Looks good so far!

Link to original page on YouTube.

See what I mean about the gear indicator will reflect off the window like a HUD?

Looking back on this statement..

Quote:
Don't be mad when I tell you I've never, ever once, taken a lick of school for electronics then.
I have not technically taken any electronics school. I was shown how to "properly" solder by the department of energy, but I already knew how to properly solder and really only picked up a few small tips from it. No other college or school for microcomputers, electronics design or the likes.

Last futzed with by ninja250; February 1st, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote