View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #29
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
I'm not a suspension expert, this is just what I've picked up after years of working on and around race bikes.

I think you are confusing the rear subframe height with chassis geometry. Race bikes have high tails to keep the riders weight forward to keep the front end down.

Changing the length of the shock, (or dogbones) changes the height of the rear of the motorcycle. A longer shock raises the bike and increases the swingarm angle. Increasing the swingarm angle decreases the amount of squat the bike gets mid-corner making it easier to turn. The downside is that the rear wheel spins up more easily leading to highsides (not really an issue on 250 Ninjas). Raising the rear also buys you more ground clearance (a good thing on a 250). Raising the rear also has an effect up front by shifting more weight to the front tire and decreasing trail. Shifting weight to the front tire is a matter of personal preference. I like riding on the front but if you overload the front tire you will lose traction and low side. Decreasing trail will make the bike steer quicker but will also make it less stable and prone to head shake.

Like most things in life suspension geometry changes have trade-offs. From the factory bikes come with a safe neutral setup. Modifying the geometry can make the bike easier to turn but will make it less stable. Go too far and it will be unsafe to ride.
Thanks for the explanation!
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote