View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #42
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Here is my story:

I signed up for the class in 1997 with two buddies. The first day was classroom with the second and third being riding. I finished the first day and went home. On my second day, I was on the way and stopped at an accident about a mile from the community college where the MSF was hosted. I didn't have a cell phone (1997) so I got out to help the injured driver, since I was an EMT at the time.

Got to the class at 8:05 A.M. and everyone was lined up getting their gear on. Class had not started yet. I ran from my car and trotted into the course area. The instructor holds up his hand and says "sorry pal, your out of the class. We have a no-tolerance policy for tardy folks." I explain to him that I stopped at an accident scene to render aid and he didn't seem to be the least bit concerned.

He told me I was out of the class and then proceeded to tell me I could come to another class next month, but I would have to pay full tuition again ($85 bucks back then). I asked him if he was seriously going to keep me from finishing the class for stopping at a wreck even though folks were still donning their gear, and he told me to GTFO and come back next month!

Well, I told him to eat my ass and that he could shove his class. He said I would never get my endorsement without his instruction and laughed as I walked over to my pals and said goodbye. I told them I would meet them at the end of their day for lunch.

I then left and drove to the DMV. My other buddy worked at a restaurant in the same strip mall and had ridden his bike to work. I met with him and asked if I could borrow it for the DMV test. He laughed and agreed, tossing me his keys. I walked into the DMV and waited in line for 30 minutes. Took and passed the written MC test. Arranged the course and passed it on the first try. Walked into the DMV and picked up my new license for $15.

Went back to my buddies restaurant and asked to borrow his EX500 for the rest of the day. I had a sweet 1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi at the time that was faster than his bike so he readily agreed. Rode back to the college just as class was finishing for the day.

A-hole instructor jaunts over to me and starts yelling at me about how he is calling the cops to report me for rising without an endorsement, blah blah, this that. I just rolled my eyes and pulled out my freshly minted M endorsement equipped DL.

My buddies walked up as he was going off and laughed their heads off. Then we went and got lunch. I was waiting for them again at the end of the third day and we all went for a ride.

I have about 20,000 miles down since then (I've been off and on with ownership) and nary a crash.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote