View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #107
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Btw, how much approx will it cost to mass produce the shift gauge by itself?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not sure.
If I were to do a shift gauge for sale, it will have professional printed circuit boards and a housing made just for it. I can do the circuit boards myself for cheap (like $100 for 10 pcb of the gauge) so $10 ea there..
So then add $5-10 for a processor..
few wires and switches and stuff that needs to come with the kit - $20
and a few more components to populate the PCB.. maybe another $10 ea pcb.

You're probably looking at roughly $50 each to produce a shift gauge if I do it.
You could then sell them for double, since it operates on different principles than most gauges and can probably accommodate lots of different bikes that couldn't add one of these before.

I dunno, this is all a quick estimate though man. Lots of unforseen stuff could pop up during the engineering of the final unit that might raise costs or even lower them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm3h View Post
Looks awesome.... Kinda got me thinking a heads up display on the windscreen would be cool, just have to mirror the text and what not
I was thinking that earlier. Quick reverse and flip of the digit or whatever and the thing is now a HUD. I thought that was cool as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Congratulations KC! Guess you've been working on the shift section too hard to get the lean angles dialed in yet?
I'll get there. I'm not so sure the sensor is going to be the right one, but I'm still working on it. It works perfect when stationary and leaning the bike but I think it does respond to the gravity change in a corner. I'm not so sure yet. I might have to change the orientation of the sensor inside of the actual gauge itself. It's sensing on the right plane but I need it tilted a bit more maybe. Seems like people are most interested in shift display anyway. I suppose I could even throw a super bright shift light on the gear display too, to tell you to shift at whatever RPM you set. Then I'd have to add an RPM line. Not a big deal when I redesign it really.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote