View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #18
kerrynyc
ninjette.org member

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): None... Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
I don't really agree. I've been riding 25+ years and haven't always thought about being safe. Hell, if I really wanted to be safe I wouldn't be riding motorcycles; those things are dangerous.

Everything you do in life comes with a degree of risk. It is up to each of us to choose how much risk we are willing to accept. To the majority of people in this country motorcycle riding comes with an unacceptable degree of risk. We are in the minority.

I feel that the ATGATT mantra while good in concept can have negative consequences. Young people who already feel invincible have even more of a cavalier attitude when they are suited up in their ATGATT armor.

The real key to safety is understanding the risks. Take a corner too fast and cross the line with a Semi coming the other way and ATGATT or not, you're dead.

This video is one of the best I've seen at explaining some of the risks of riding. I wish there were more of them and a way for every new rider to see them.

Link to original page on YouTube.

ATGATT Nazis may start flaming me now.

That video is INTENSE. What's sick is that I see people on the Southern State Parkway here on Long Island speeding along at 160 MPH around curves and makes me wonder why, why they do that when they know they could be dead or severely injured in a matter of seconds.