View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Hmm... well, I contacted the eBayer that sells the chain and sprocket sets for the pre-gen. He says that he can do the whole set, two sprockets and a chain with the teeth/gearing I choose for $80; $83 w/ a colored chain. Sounds like a deal, but I'm willing to bet that it's a pre-gen sprocket that will need a shim. AFAIK, they all are except for that one JT sprocket made out of unobtanium.

Alternately, what about sources that charge by the link, like this? Does "number of pins" correlate directly with "number of links' +/- one? I don't even know if the inner link is counted in, say, a 106-link chain. I'd imagine that it is, but I never got down there and counted.

Another question: What lube is preferable if I decide to get a blue chain for the blue bike? IOW, which will be mostly clear without looking nasty, gummy, dirty, black, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Jet, Go with an O Ring chain. That`s what your bike came with. If you don`t want to deal with your dealer, there are always independent shops that can do a great job for you. Your bike takes a 106 link chain. You can either have a shop do it or you can do it yourself. Since I am a bicycle mechanic, I chose to buy a chain breaker/riveting tool so that I can do the job myself. It is not difficult--certainly not rocker science. There should be a DIY someplace on that subject. When the time comes for me to change my chain, I will do a DIY.
Thanks. I barely have enough tools to get the tire off when using a torque wrench as a snap-on, much less an impact wrench or breaker-bar to get the front sprocket off. Since the city will be paying for the dealer to mount my new tires, I might as well have the chain done simultaneously, but I will keep that in mind for the next 15K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer View Post
eh? i was fooled also LMAO it is just the one link rivit..

I bought mine in Temecula @ cycle gear and my bud (Mech)in temecula slapped it on fer another 30$ not 89$ the dealer charges.... i also bought the rivit link (not clip) fer 4.99$ Orbits good DID's are better your gonna pay for quality....

id be happy to link" up with you and introduce you to the mech ect...

BBL dinner time...
Ha! I figured something was "wrong" with that price, hence the thread title. I just didn't know what. It looks like a D.I.D. 520 106-link O-ring chain is about $73.

So chains do not typically include the link? Is this because they expect you to reuse it?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote