View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #129
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaltothemetal View Post
Increase in carbon deposits in the combustion chamber increases compression ratio. If you do get ping because of this, then you should use higher octane.
These engines run at very high rpms, and as long as you don't lug the engine under load you should be ok on 87 octane.
Personally I have been using 91 cause just in case I get a batch of bad gas!
I'm sorry, but this is wrong, from the first sentence to the last, and makes absolutely no sense. And why does using 91 just in case you get a batch of bad gas help? Why is that better? You still don't understand what octane rating means and what it does. Not only are you wasting your money, you are robbing your engine of power and also going against the recommendation of the engine manufacturer. Do you really think you know better than them?
People have the mistaken idea that the higher the octane rating, the better or more powerful the gas is, and that is just not correct. So do what you want, use your own logic to justify your actions, but you are not helping yourself or your bike in any way.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote