Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:24 AM   #16
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
It's good to hear you're alright!

excuse me for being new to the sport, but wouldn't the correct thing to do in a situation like this be to not chop the throttle and transfer all your weight to the front wheel while the back is sliding about, but rather to keep the throttle the same, or give it slightly more gas until the rear starts to get traction back?
that way most of your weight stays on the rear tire which not only helps it get traction back, but is where you want to keep it in a turn... 40/60, right?

if you were sliding because you were at your traction limit (not because of sand in the road), chopping the throttle and transfering your weight up front would only make it worse... right?

whats that saying? when in doubt, gas it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Leave the throttle on if the rear wheel starts to slide. If you transfer all the weight to the front wheel by letting off the throttle, you lighten the rear and make it slide more. Also, if you let the throttle off and then put it back on you could have risked a highside if the rear wheel suddenly regained traction. And, if you had the rear brake on and the back slides out, don't release the brake, or you risk a highside if the rear regains traction when it resumes spinning. Basically, try not to brake in a turn, don't let up on the throttle. You actually need a little more throttle going around the turn.
Was there anyway you could have just steered straight into the grass then tried to brake in a straight line if you thought you were going to fast for the sand?
Too many things to think about all at once, it has to be automatic and that comes from practice, practice, more practice. But real glad to hear you're OK, nothing seriously damaged, and you can analyze the situation and learn from it.
I agree with both these gentlemen

More gas = good, yes the rear may have slid out on the sand but a motorbike is an oversteer device, it will continue to turn and eventually correct itself if you do nothing more than keep the gas on, as the bike accelerates it moves more weight back helping push that tire into the road. Instead you hit the brakes making a bad situation worse. Doh If you were in a car (most of which are setup as understeer devices) this might have had some positive impact.

How did you get road rash on your legs with proper gear? I'm guessing by ATGATT you think jeans count or something like that. Please do a track day or something with proper rider training. I know at the moment all the cool kids seem to think crashing your bike on mountain roads and learning from trial and error is the coolest way to do it, but I'm telling you now, its not eventually you won't get up and brush off one of those crashes.

A lot of people here are being very supportive but what you described yourself doing (no experience, going too fast on roads you don't know) sounds very squid like. I'm glad you posted this as if you didn't I guess you'd be crashing again soon, probably due to your incorrect thought that chopping off the gas would have helped (has the same effect on vehicle dynamics as hitting the rear brake, is that not stating the obvious?), if you actually thought that was a good Idea you really need to read some books or do some training, to stay safe, and keep the racing for the track please, the road is not just for you and your buddies to abuse.