View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #32
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
yep. i have this problem all the time with my vespa. the gas actually creates so much pressure that it creates a vacuum. it only happens when the tank is more than 3/4 full. all i gotta do is release the cap to let air in OR fill my tank only 7/8 full. i'm not to worried about it though, this gas cap is made for race bikes so i'm sure they did a little bit of R&D.

and for a dude to steal all 4.8 gallons of my gas. man. now that's desperation. guy needs it that bad he can take it. as far as putting something in my tank, i'm not worried about it.
im not sure its an issue of gas creating pressure that it creates a vacum. i think its an issue of displacement, any fluid really would cause the same problem. When the tank is dripped dry of gas (i believe the bike is gravity fed, no fuel pump) the volume of gas that is displaced must be replaced by something in order to avoid vacum and stalling... i.e. air. I like this gas cap, i wonder if drilling a pin sized hole would be beneficial? Could dirt or moisture contaminate the gasoline? I'm sick of the tank wine too and would like to solve the problem.