Old March 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #17
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Well as mentioned above, the biggest advantage the 250 has over a restricted 636 is that it's a lot cheaper to run. It's cheaper on insurance (in north america anyway), a lot better on gas, the tires are cheaper and last longer, and it's a hell of a lot easier to ride.

I'm not talking about just raw power and controllability of the throttle here. I'm talking about general ease of riding. The standard seating position and tiny stature of the bike make it easier to ride at low speeds. That's just simple physics.

If you haven't already, I suggest trying to ride a buddy's 600cc supersport around a parking lot (when nobody's looking....). Even though the two bikes practically weigh the same, you'll be using more body english to maneuver the 636 around. Say goodbye to tight u-turns as well.
I haven't see a major different between the 250 and the 1000 I'm riding. The 250 was always way up the RPM chart and I just lug the 1000, at the same speed. I get close to 50MPG on the 1000 unless I'm having illegal speed limit fun. I get about 5000 miles from the tires, unless it goes to the track, I paid $215 for 2 Pirelli Diablos resently, I use body English on any bike I ride (Spanish when with the ladies), so I don't see a big difference.

I think it just comes down to experience and HP. If you can restrict a 636 to 33hp it should be cheap to run.