View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I usually sit on the the bike & tip it up so it's level, then fill to about 1/2-1/4" shy of the closure, where the paint ends. That way I fill to pretty much the same volume every time so I can track mileage a little better and get as much gas as I can in the tank.
Paul,

I used to do that for the same reasons you do. But, one night when prepping the bike for a ride the next day, I filled the tank up just as you described using a gas can at home while the bike was sitting upright on the rear stand.

I finished prepping the bike, took it off the rear stand and parked it in the corner, ready to ride the next morning.

Well, the ride never happened for some reason and the bike sat that way all week long.

What I found was that the gas will leak past the seal on the locked gas cap and it ate away at the paint of the inner portion of the gas filler cap area. Fortunately you can't see it when the gas cap is closed. The gasoline actually ate away the paint and flaked it off to the metal. I knew gas was bad for paint and will stain it, but if left to sit for long periods of time, it can actually remove it.

Bob, sorry for the OT... oh yeah, remember to fill up at 200 miles.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote