View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #195
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahninja View Post
The question I have is how long does everyone go between oil changes with synthetics? I was thinking of 5k, but is this too long?
Hmmm good question! @ 2,000 miles i switched and changed my own oil and used the 5w-40 Rotella T (kkim uses)
bought mine at wal-mart $14.00 for a 4 qrt. jug!

Thats about 2 oil changes per/Year! (unless you ride a shitload of miles like 25k in 1yr)

I changed my oil again the day i Winterized it, about 4,000 miles later!
The oil looked pretty good in color and not too dirty.

Im not a SAE certi-moto mechanic, but i would say 5,000 miles would be the MAX I personally go, between oil changes!

If you live in a Hot, High Humid state,etc (like Florida/AZ/TX) and do alot of Highway miles, then you might wanna change your oil 3k for peace of mind!

Me, im going to leave in the Rotella T 5w-40 i put in the day i winterized it, then change it around Middle of June! Just b4 the Hotter weather really starts setting in.

Next oil change im gonna use my works Account for a discount, and Order some 5w-40 or 10w-40 full synthetic Oil from AMS-Oil! I read a magazine that i got in the mail (junk mail like) weeks ago, from AMS oil, and it had some nice info and tests about a bunch of Oils vs eachother!

We use AMS-Oil in all our equipment/machines at work and never had a problem with them in the 7 yrs ive been working there!

But, answer IMO, sure 5,000 miles = max b4 oil changes!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote