Thread: new motorcycle
View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #17
clegg
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 - Blue, Had a '09 Ninja 250R

Yeh being a big guy with a 250 myself, I can see clearly areas that the lower power of the 250 saved me from some noob mistakes. Stuff like too harsh of throttle transitions mid corner (an easy way to kick the rear of the bike out by accident), going too fast into corners, etc... Reasons I went with the 250 over the 650R:

1. Dirt cheap insurance... like $12 a month for me, full coverage at the same level I cover my car with.
2. Cheap purchase price, 3000 - 4000K cheaper than the 2010 650R.
3. Great mileage
4. Easy, flickable, and responsive. Being so light and with the narrower tires make it great for learning the turning techniques and ballance of the bike.
5. Good ergonomics - fits and rides well.
6. Simple maint, the bike is simple and straight forward. Easy oil changes, low chain and tire wear, low clutch wear, etc...

I have no quams about that purchase. Down the road I will be upgrading, but I can easily see keeping the 250R as its just a fun easy to ride bike for getting around town.