Thread: Bike Purchase
View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

It honestly depends on the dealer.

When buying a vehicle the majority of your haggleing is over your trade-in. Since this is your first bike that is out of the question.

Most dealers will slap on assembly fees, financial fees and office fees. This is where your negoatiation is. Try to get them to lower or wave them.

Also they will want you to buy an extended warantee or scheduled maintance plan... that is your choice and you might be able to negotiate price on that. They might even talk about delivery if you don't have a way to get the bike home or you don't know how to ride it yet.

MSRP is usually what you will pay for the motorcycle unless there is some type of factory incentive.

If you're buying a new 250R expect to pay $4000 plus tax and license, and try to talk your way out of the dealer fees. If you don't get an extended warantee, you will be looking at just under $5000 out the door.

If you are paying cash don't tell them at first and try to use that as a barganing chip. It might get you a deal, but It is not guaranteed.

From my experience with cars, smaller dealers haggle more. Big ones just try to trick you more. I can only imagine it's the same with bike dealers.

Someone else might have had different experiences than I have so feel free to share.